Tuesday 17 July 2012

Day 16

Verdun to Belflou. Followed the canal all morning until I reached Toulouse which is a very big city - no 3 or 4 in France. I used to work there many years ago and recognised some of the places. The canal brought me to a dead end in the city do I had to make my way through the city centre. I noticed C&A are still going strong in France.
After a quick stop at McDonald's (yes I know but they do a nice cup of tea and a decent chicken Caesar salad topped off with a lovely vanilla frappe - and they've got free wifi!) - I made my way to Belflou.
Turned out to be a strange sort of campsite - advertised as by a lake and offering all kinds of water sports as well as a bar/restaurant and a takeaway service. Well the Madame who runs it is stretching the truth a bit. It does have a lake but there is no real access apart from wading through mud. When I tried to book a table she said she only opens the restaurant for groups of 10 or more! She said I could have a takeaway as long as it was confit de canard which came with a pile of green beans and nothing else but it was enjoyable all the same.
I must admit the views over the lake are amazing but I think I will move on - I've never been to Carcasonne - supposed to be well worth a visit.
Btw I've just looked at my speedo and I've clocked up 1000 miles exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment