Friday 6 July 2012

Day 5

Arrived in st malo and caught the little water shuttle to Dinard across the estuary - it was lovely but no one warned me about the steep steps from the jetty to the road - nearly did myself a mischief 😳
Found the voie verte which is basically a cycle path which I followed for about 20 miles. It lead me to the banks of the river rance which I followed into Dinan. Dinan is a lovely walled riverside town - I stopped for lunch at a creperie and had their fixed price 'formule' lunch for 10 euros - it was delicious. You got 3 courses - a nice tuna salad to start followed by a 'galettes complete' which was delicious - it was a bit like a Staffordshire oatcake with ham and scrambled eggs inside bit better. The final course was a crepe with butter and sugar. As a fellow biker told me on the ferry, doesn't matter how much you eat, you cannot replace the calories that you are burning off cycling !
I decided to stick to the original plan and camp that night in Rennes. I erected my tent in the sunshine but then the rain started. There were one or two strange people knocking about the site - one youngish fella came over and asked if I wanted to share some of his bread. So consequently I slept with one eye open most of the night as I didn't want my bike to go missing.
Next morning I was up at six and on the road for 6.30 - decided that after 2 bad nights with little sleep, I would book myself in a B&B tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment